The Kennedy - Skakel Connection
Tragedy and Coincidence?
- August 12, 1944: Joseph Kennedy Jr. Killed in WWII
Shot down in Europe during a bombing mission.
- 1948: Kathleen Kennedy killed in a small plane crash in France.
- DATE UNKNOWN: George Skakel Jr. shoots his brother
Jim in the abdomen while working as ranch hands in
- DATE UNKNOWN: Greg Reilly is shot at the Skakel home
on Lake Avenue. Jim Skakel takes Reilly to United Hospital
in Port Chester, NY to avert suspicion away from the Skakel
- October 3, 1955: Multi-millionaire George Shakel and his wife
Ann, parents of Ethel Skakel Kennedy (wife of Robert Kennedy),
were killed when their refurbished WWII B-29 bomber crashed
near Union City, Oklahoma. Witnesses reported seeing the plane
flying low with both engines on fire shortly before the crash.
The plane's crew also died in the crash.
- February 11, 1958: 15-year-old Francis Michael
Medaille, (son of Betty Skakel Medaille, Ethel Skakel
Kennedy's first cousin) strangles then pushes 7-year-old
Kathleen Hegmann to her death from their New York City
- Early 1962: Pat Corroon Skakel catches
husband George with another woman in their guest house.
She reportedly burns the guest house, filled with priceless
antiques, to the ground.
George Skakel does not file an insurance claim. When
asked Skakel would explain that he didn't not want to
add insurance fraud and arson charges on top of
- August 5, 1962: Marilyn Monroe found dead.
The night before her body was found, Robert F. Kennedy
and a Doctor are seen entering and leaving her home.
They are the last to see her alive.
Apparently the day before Marilyn was found dead she
had threatened to hold a press conference and
give away the truth about her romances with John
and Bobby. John's affair with Marilyn reportedly
started in 1953, only five months after he
married Jacqueline Bouvier.
- November 22, 1963:
John F. Kennedy - Assassinated in Dallas, Texas.
- 1964: Ted Kennedy injured in a plane crash.
- Thanksgiving Day 1966: Kick Skakel the
oldest daughter of Pat Carroon Skakel, was driving
around the neighborhood in her brand new Mustang
conversable with the top down and several young
children sitting on the trunk. When the car hit
a speed bump, six-year-old Hope O'Brien flew off
the back of the car, landing on her head.
Six-year-old Hope O'Brien dies week later.
Greenwich police chief Steven Barron blamed the
speed bumps for her death.
The Skakel's insurance company settles with the
O'Brien's family for $25,000.
- June 5, 1968:
Robert Francis Kennedy was slain the Ambassador Hotel
in Los Angeles, California.
- July 19, 1969: 9:45 AM, Ted Kennedy arrives
at the Edgartown police station and speaks to chief
Dominick Arena. He states that he took a wrong turn
at 11:15 PM the previous evening on the way to the
ferry-landing on Chappaquidick and had gone off the
He states he returned to his hotel room and fell asleep.
He decided to contacted the police when he "fully realized"
what had happened (almost 10 hours later).
Police divers find Mary Jo Kopechne in the car, dead.
- July 22, 1969: Mary Jo Kopechne
is buried in Plymouth, PA.
- July 25, 1969: Ted Kennedy pleads guilty and
is given 2 months suspended sentence & one year probation
by Edgartown District Court Judge James A. Boyle.
- 1973: Edward M. Kennedy, Jr., the senator's son,
loses his right leg to cancer.
- 1973: Joseph P. Kennedy II, the son of Robert and Ethel,
is the driver in a car accident on Cape Cod that leaves
one passenger permanently paralyzed.
- October 31, 1975: Martha Moxley found murdered,
under a tree, in her back yard.
Tommy Skakel is supposedly the last person to see Martha alive.
- March 5, 1978: Michael Skakel is driving down
a country road in Windham, New York when he is flagged
down by 2 police officers helping a motorist. Skakel
disregards the police causing a high speed pursuit.
The pursuit ended with Michael crashing into a telephone
pole. He is charged with unlicensed operation, speeding,
failure to comply and driving while intoxicated.
Michael pleads guilty to all charges (except the DWI).
He is sent to the Elan School in Poland Springs, Maine,
a school for troubled teens with drug abuse problems.
- 1984: David Kennedy dies from a drug overdose.
- May 10, 1991: William Kennedy Smith is
charged with Rape in Palm Beach Florida. Smith was out bar
hopping with his uncle Senator Edward "Teddy" Kennedy
and his son. Smith is found not guilty in 1992.
- Spring 1997: Michael Kennedy (son of
Ethel & Robert F. Kennedy) is charged with statutory
rape by the family baby sitter.
- 1997:Michael Kennedy dies in an unrelated skiing accident.
- July 16, 1999: John F. Kennedy Jr., his wife Carolyn
and her sister, Lauren Bissette die in a small plane
crash off Martha's Vinyard, Mass.
- Murder in Greenwich; Mark Fuhrman
- Greentown; Timothy Dumas
- The Other Mrs. Kennedy; Jerry Oppenheimer
- Greenwich Time/Stamford Advocate
- USA Today